Four Colour Classification Scheme Launched by the Moefcc for Industries Based on Pollution Index [ Current Affairs ]
A new Four-colour Classification Scheme for industries based on their pollution potential has been launched by the Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC). The four-colour classification scheme of industrial sectors based on the Pollution Index (PI) and its function are:
- Emissions (air pollutants)
- Effluents (water pollutants)
- Hazardous wastes generated
- Consumption of resources
- The PI of any industrial sector is a number alternating from 0 to 100 and increasing value of PI symbolizes the growing degree of pollution load from the industrial sector.
- Based on the on ‘Range of Pollution Index‘, industrial sectors have been categorized into four colours category and they are:
- PI score of 60 and above.
- These are severe polluting industries.
- Total 60 industries including sugar, thermal power plants, paints and others are considered under this category.
- PI score of 41 to 59.
- They temperately polluting industries.
- Total 83 industries like coal, washeries and automobile servicing are placed under this category.
- PI score of 21 to 40.
- They are significantly low polluting industries.
- Total 63 industries are placed under this category.
- PI score below and up to 20.
- They are non-polluting industries.
- Total 30 industries are under in it.
- These industries are released from requirement of environmental clearance.
- Published on: March 8, 2016