Free Public Wi-Fi Service has been Launched by Google, Railtel at Mumbai Central Station [ Current Affairs ]
At the Mumbai Central Station, Google India and Indian Railways’ telecom arm Railtel has jointly launched free Rail Wire Public Wi-Fi service for railway passengers. Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu has launched this service.
- And with this launch Mumbai Central has become the first railway station in India to have free high-speed Wi-Fi Internet facility.
- This service is used by any passenger who Wi-Fi supported smart phones.
- With this facility users can simply stream research their destination, surf high definition video or save some videos for offline viewing they can also download e-books for the journey.
- For the security purpose OTP system is implemented though which users can use this facility after authenticating their cell phone number by entering a four digit OTP (One Time Password) which is sent to their smart phone via SMS.
- In September 2015, the public Wi-Fi project for Indian Railways was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi while he has visited Google headquarters in Mountain View, California.
- This project is implemented in phases and at the initial phase it will implemented in 100 busiest railway stations and later it will implemented to 400 stations across the country.
- Published on: January 25, 2016