Haryana Will Soon Become India’s First State to Complete Aquifer Mapping [ Current Affairs ]
Haryana is ready to become Indi’s first state to complete aquifer mapping for its groundwater resources up to May 2016. “Aquifer is an underground layer of water-bearing rock from which groundwater can be extracted. ”
Aquifer mapping: To assess the groundwater situation scientific mapping of aquifers is used.
Objective: The main aim behind designing the Aquifer map is to prepare management plans in consultation with investors and state governments.
Nodal Agency: The Central Ground Water Board (CGWB) is a Nodal Agency of this mapping on the scale of 1: 50, 000 in 3D.
Technology: Heli-borne geophysical surveys and sophisticated software for preparing management plans are used in mapping by CGWB.
Target: Up to 2022 CGWB will complete the aquifer mapping of the entire country.
At the Initial phase aquifer mapping is done in 8 selected states which gone be completed by 2017, and these states are:
- Andhra Pradesh,
- Tamil Nadu and
- With the help of aquifer mapping it will be easy to predict the groundwater scenario in the country as most of groundwater reservoirs are over-exploited and other benefits are:
- Support the states to evaluate the quantity and quality of groundwater in an aquifer.
- Help in assessment of sustainable level of water extraction.
- Subsequent planning for water use to make the country climate change resilient.
- Published on: February 24, 2016