Heart of Asia Conference Begins in New Delhi [ Current Affairs ]
The Heart of Asia conference began in New Delhi with the objective of bringing peace and stability to Afghanistan. The Heart of Asia - Istanbul Processwas initiated to provide a stage to discuss regional issues, mainly promising security, political and economic collaboration between Afghanistan and its neighbors.
About Heart of Asia Conference:
- This region-led discussion was launched in November 2011 to increase practical synchronization between Afghanistan and its neighbors.
- This region-led discussion also includes discussion and solution about regional partners in facing common threats, which includes antiterrorism, antinarcotic (psychoactive compound with sleep-inducing properties), poverty, extremism.
About Heart of Asia conference 2016:
- The Heart of Asia conference 2016 was attended by many officials from number of countries.
- In this conference, the discussion for fighting with extremism and terrorism was included.
Key facts of this conference:
- The Heart of Asia conference has been planned a constant, incremental approach for execution of the confidence or security building measures (CBM) in Afghanistan.
- CBM (confidence or security building measures) are the actions, which are taken to reduce fright of attack by both parties in a situation of tension with or without physical battle.
- It will also speed up rebuilding in Afghanistan with a focus on improving investment and connectivity in the country.
- Moreover, Energy, infrastructure, and investment deal to support economic growth of Afghanistan.
List of 14 participating countries:
- Russia, China, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Azerbaijan and Turkey. Supporting countries: Australia, Canada, Denmark, Egypt, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Iraq, Japan, Norway, Poland, Spain, Sweden, UK and US.
List of Supporting Organisations:
- Supporting Organisations include UN, NATO, SAARC, SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organisation) and OIC (Organisation of Islamic Cooperation).
- Published on: April 27, 2016