Heritage Heroes Award 2016 of IUCN Honored to Ecologist Bibhuti Lahkar [ Current Affairs - International Relations ]
The First Asian Dr. Bibhuti Lahkar an Assam-based ecologist and most dedicated conservation activist has won the important environmental award ‘Heritage Heroes’ of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) for his speech less hard work in making difference for maintenance of World Heritage sites in challenging situations.
- The award was honored to him at World Conservation Congress of IUCN in Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Long with Lahkar 4 other person are also nominated across the world and they are:
- Bantu Lukambo from Congo
- Josue Kambasu Mukura from Congo
- Yulia Naberezhnaya from Russia
- Andrey Rudomahka from Russia
About Bibhuti Lahkar
- Bibhuti Lahkar is the ecologist of India and has researched grassland ecosystem (as part of his PhD program) in Assam, India.
- Since last 20 years he is working to save the grasslands, flora and fauna of Manas National Park area.
- He is currently engaged with Manas Landscape Administrator for Aaranyak, an NGO which is working for biodiversity conservation in northeast India.
- For his outstanding research and dedication he is globally renowned as an expert in threatened flora and fauna of the Terai region along southern foothills of the Himalayas.
- He also had worked in connecting Manas Wildlife Sanctuary with the Royal Manas National Park in Bhutan.
- He has introduced trans-boundary wildlife monitoring system which proven helpful for completing Manas natural area in India and Bhutan to management across.
- He is first researched who had surveyed GIS of the Manas and his research came as critical element in the Manas Tiger Conservation Plan.
- He also had inspired and trained many young people (around 300) to be directly engaged in the protection heritage sites and convert many poachers for monitoring of wildlife.
- He arranges many workshops at different places where wild life is in danger to prevent them.
Heritage Heroes Award:
- Heritage Heroes Award is honored to those who have contributed outstanding work for making a difference in the conservation of World Heritage sites in challenging situations across the world.
- The IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources) is an international organization and works for prevention and provide support for use of natural resources.
- Its main functions are data gathering and analysis, research, field projects, advocacy, lobbying and education regarding to the natural resources.
- IUCN main aim is “Influence, encourage and assist societies throughout the world to conserve nature and to ensure that any use of natural resources is equitable and ecologically sustainable.”
- Published on: September 8, 2016