High-Speed OPV INS Tarasa Launched by Indian Navy [ Current Affairs ]
Indian Navy has launched INS Tarasa, The last ship in the series of four Water Jet Fast Attack Craft (WJFAC). It is being built by Kolkata (West Bengal) based Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Ltd (GRSE), for the Indian Navy. The WJFACs are ideally suited and used for setback of fast-moving surface craft.
About INS Tarasa:
- INS Tarasa previously launched ships of WJFACs series has been named after the picturesque island in the Andaman and Nicobar archipelago in Bay of Bengal.
- It is developed different of the Car Nicobar-class high-speed offshore patrol vessels (OPVs).
- The ship is powered by the latest 4, 000-series MTU engines and has movement capacity of 315 tonnes. It is fitted with advanced machinery control system.
- INS Tarasa has been designed to attain maximum speed of 35 knots and for an endurance of nearly 2, 000 nautical miles at 12 - 14 knots.
- The ship will be fitted with CRN-91 indigenous 30mm gun with optronic pedestal and will have the latest communication equipment and radars to enable effective investigation.
- The WJFACs are ideally suited for interception of fast-moving surface craft and it will perform anti-smuggling, fishery protection and search and defence operations.
- Published on: July 4, 2016