Hospital Train Lifeline Express: Completes 25 Years of Service [ Current Affairs ]
The world’s first hospital on a train Lifeline Express of Indian Railways has completed 25 years of service to the poor and needy people of rural India. Function was held in Mumbai to mark the occasion and celebrate the success of the train.
About Lifeline Express
- Lifeline Express was launched on 16 July 1991.
- It is known as the Magic Train of India.
- The first ever hospital-on-rails in the world is Lifeline Express.
- Train has covered 173 projects in 18 states sponsored by both private and public bodies and covered a distance of two lakh kilometres.
- It is equipped with medical facilities and equipment and medicines provide to fulfill the needs of the rural patients.
- Health projects sponsored by business houses, trusts and foundations, and services of about 100, 000 specialists, doctors, medical students and other volunteers from India and abroad for provided through this facility over the years.
- New Lifeline Express given by the Indian Railways in 2007 and its includes five coaches, out of three are used to provide medical facilities to poor and rural individuals.
- Train is leading social initiative of Impact India Foundation (IIF) in partnership with the Indian Railways and the Union Health Ministry.
- Lifeline Express covered 173 projects in 18 state and also covered 2 lakh kilometres distance.
- It has medically served more than 10, 00, 000 poor in rural India.
- It was started with an objective to provide on-the-spot problem-solving, medical and progressive surgical treatment for preventive and curative interventions for disabled adults and children using the Indian Railway Network.
- Published on: July 18, 2016