In Index of HIV Cases by Transfusion, Maharashtra Ranks 3rd Position [ Current Affairs ]
Over the last one and half years 276 people were infected with HIV while getting a blood transfusion in Maharashtra that’s way Maharashtra ranked at 3rd position. According to the survey of National Aids Control Organization (NACO) 2, 234 people have infected HIV by blood transfusion across the country got.
- Maximum number of transfusion transmitted HIV cases has been recorded in Uttar Pradesh with 361followed cases and Gujarat at second place with 292 cases.
- With 264 cases Delhi grabbed at the fourth position.
- Within last six years Maharashtra has recorded more than 1, 239 such cases.
- According to the report 90 % of HIV transmissions still occur through sexual intercourse.
- The Government has still not showed any urgency to bring in advanced tests, such as nuclear acid testing, that cut down the HIV detection window period to six days from three months so that this kind of caes are reported maximum.
- NAT ha mad proposal in NACO to supported blood banks in Maharashtra in this regard.
- 2, 234 cases of HIV infection spread has been reported in India through blood transfusion from October 2014 and March 2016.
- Earlier in 2009 - 10 National Aids Control Organization (NACO) and the health ministry has reported 2, 711 such cases.
- As per 2015 annual report, NACO’s total blood collection was around 30 lakh units, till September 2014.
- Around 20.9 lakh are peoples are living with HIV in India in 2011.
- Nearly 86 % of patients are belongs to 15 - 49 age-group.
- 1.45 lakh Children whose age is less than 15 years are accounted in 2011 while 39% of theme was among women.
- Published on: June 1, 2016