India Helps to Sets Up Apparel Training Centre in Kaduna, Nigeria [ Current Affairs ]
An apparel training centre has been established in Kaduna, Nigeria to support textiles industry of the West African country. This training centre is a first centre in Nigeria which has been set up by India in partnership with their government.
- It objective to support and catalyze the initiative of Nigeria in realizing the objectives to reconstruct the cotton and textile value chain.
- The centre addresses the need for skilled workforce for domestic as well export-oriented apparel industry in the West African region.
- The training centre was established under the Cotton Technical Assistance Programme for Africa.
- This is implemented by the Department of Commerce, Government of India under 2nd India Africa Forum Summit.
- Nigeria is main trading partner of India.
- India-Nigeria bilateral trade stood at US 12.17 billion dollars in 2015 - 16 as against US 16.36 billion dollars in 2014 - 15.
- 100 Indian companies operating in Nigeria mainly in hydrocarbons, telecom, textiles, electrical equipment, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, plastics, IT and autos sectors.
- Nigeria is Africa’s biggest oil producer and its major portion of crude export is to India.
India’s exports to Nigeria includes:
- Transport equipment
- Electronic goods
India imports from Nigeria includes:
- Non-ferrous metals
- Wood products
- Cashew nuts
- Published on: July 11, 2016