India Ranks 110th on Sustainable Development Index [ Current Affairs ]
In Sustainable Development index (SDI) India has been ranked a low 110th out of 149 countries. SDI evaluates countries where they stand with regard to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) also their progress and certifying accountability.
Top 10 Countries:
Bottom 5 Countries:
- Chad (145th)
- Niger (146th)
- Congo (147th)
- Liberia (148th)
- Central African Republic (149th)
- Pakistan (115th)
- Myanmar (117th)
- Bangladesh (118th)
- Afghanistan (139th)
- Russia (47th)
- China (76th)
- India (110th)
- Countries closest to fulfilling the SDGs these are not the biggest economies but comparably small, developed countries.
- SDG have little resources at their disposal so, poor and developing countries score lowest on the SDG.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) countries struggle to meet the objective on inequality, climate change, maintainable consumption and ecosystems.
- Providing basic social services and infrastructure access to their population developing countries face major difficulties.
- High levels of inequality in the most pressing issues challenges the Latin America and the Caribbean countries are faces.
- East and South Asia beat many other developing regions but challenges mostly continue in health and education.
- World’s poorest region Sub-Saharan Africa which faces major challenges across almost all SDGs, with extreme poverty, hunger and health as major areas.
About Sustainable Development index (SDI)
- SDI helps to countries identify gaps that must be closed in order to achieve SDGS by 2030.
- Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) and the Bertelsmann Stiftung launched new index.
- SDI ranks countries based on their performance in the 17 global SDGs.
- Index helps countries to identify priorities for quick actions.
- SDGs: Sustainable Development Goals
- From 2015 to 2030, SDGs are 17 global non-binding goals featuring 169 targets to be implemented.
These goals and targets are a set of aspiring objectives in the three measurements of sustainable development supported by good governance like:
- Economic development
- Social inclusion
- Environmental sustainability
- Published on: July 25, 2016