India’S Membership of the International Continental Scientific Drilling Program Approved [ Current Affairs ]
India’s membership of the International Continental Scientific Drilling Program (ICDP) association has been approved by the Union Cabinet regarding to this Union Government has signed a MoU with the Helmholtz Centre Potsdam GFZ German Research Centre for geosciences.
Under the MoU
- India will be unable to get promised with internationally renowned experts with profound capability in different aspects of scientific drilling.
- These specialists will complete India in deep coaching and associated investigations in Koyna region.
Benefits to India
- With this membership India will get a seat on two ICDP panels like Executive Committee (EC) and Assembly of Governors (AOG).
- ICDP will also deliver operational/technical support; facilitate capacity structure in terms of data management, manpower training in key scientific areas and support workshops for the Koyna scientific deep drilling project assumed by the Union Ministry of Earth Sciences.
- Indian scientists/engineers will have right to submit suggestions, to participate in all ICDP drilling projects and co-funded workshops as a member of ICDP.
- They will also allow accessing all data results from ICDP projects.
- This will shelter new grace on the beginning of seismicity, therefore help in better understanding of earthquake processes.
About International Continental Scientific Drilling Program
- The International Continental Scientific Drilling Program is an international program to advance and fund geosciences in the field of Continental Scientific Drilling.
- Scientific drilling is a serious tool for understanding of Earth processes and structure.
- It compromises direct awareness into Earth processes and critically tests geological models.
- Results gained from drilling projects at critical sites can be useful in to the other worldwide areas.
- It is, therefore, supposed that international collaboration in continental scientific drilling is an important component for a responsible management strategy for the Earth’s natural incomes and environment.
- Published on: June 17, 2016