India Take Responsibility of BRICS Chairmanship from Russia for 2016 [ Current Affairs ]
For the year 2016 India has assumed BRICS Chairmanship from the Russian Federation. BRICS is an association of five countries viz. Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. Union External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj formally disclosed the BRICS Logo for the duration of India’s BRICS Chairmanship and also launched website on this occasion.
- For the second time India has assumed BRICS Chairmanship and had hosted the BRICS Summit in 2012 for first time in New Delhi.
- The 7th BRICS Summit was held in the Russian city of Ufa in July 2015.
- The 8th BRICS Summit would be hosted by India which was organized on 15 - 16 October 2016 in Goa.
- Over fifty meetings and events will be hosted at the Ministerial, Working Groups, Senior Officials, Technical and Track-II levels.
- The core-theme for the BRICS Chairmanship is Building responsive, inclusive and collective solutions.
- The special focus will be on institution-building, implementing past commitments and exploring advanced solutions in a spirit of continuity with consolidation.
- BRICS is the contraction for an association of five major emerging national economies: Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
- It was established in 2009.
- It was known as BRIC before the inclusion of South Africa in 2011.
- The first formal summit was held in Yekaterinburg, Russia.
- The BRICS members are all developing or newly developed countries and all five are G-20 members.
- They are notable by their large, fast-growing economies and important inspiration on regional and global affairs.
- Published on: March 23, 2016