India and US Has Signed MoU for Development of LIGO Project [ Current Affairs ]
A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been signed by India and US to develop a state-of-the-art LIGO (Laser Interferometer Gravitational - wave Observatory) project in the country. The National Science Foundation USA and India’s Department of Atomic Energy and Department of Science and Technology will sign MoU in this regard.
- The MoU will also form a Joint Oversight Group (JOG) with the scientists from NSF, DAE and DST for better coordination of the project.
- The project will carry record opportunities for scientists and engineers to excavations deeper into the dominion of gravitational wave and take global leadership in this new astronomical frontier.
- Up to 10th April the site for setting up the laboratory in India will be decided.
- LIGO-India will come with the opportunities in edge technology for the Indian industry which will be engaged in the construction of an 8 km-long beam tube at ultra-high vacuum on a levelled terrain.
- In the recent discovery Indian scientists will play essential role.
- The most advanced detectors ever built for sensing tiny vibrations in the universe the machines will offers scientists their first-ever glimpse at gravitational waves.
The two US-based underground detectors are known as
- The Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory
- LIGO for short.
One is located in Hanford, Washington and the other in Livingston, Louisiana.
- Published on: March 31, 2016