India and US Sign LEMOA for Defence Supplies to Repair and Replenishment [ Current Affairs ]
Indian Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and Ashton Carter Secretary of Defence in Washington, D.C has signed Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Agreement (LEMOA) and this agreement enables both the countries to use repair and replenishment of defence supplies.
- This was the second visit of Indian Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar to the US and he achieved a long anticipated bilateral deal for India and the agreement was the part of memorandum in principle reached between two leaders in April 2016.
- Logistics Support Agreement LEMOA is an agreement of US which is signed with many of its associates.
- Under this agreement associated courtiers gets defence logistics support facilities such as fuel, spare parts, mechanics, etc. until its joint training, Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR), and port calls.
- LEMOA includes basic terms, conditions, and procedures for reciprocal provision of Logistic Support, Supplies, and Services (LSSS) between US and associated countries.
- LSSS comprise services such as food, billeting, water, medical services, transportation, petroleum, oils, lubricants, clothing, communication services, storage services, training services, spare parts and components, repair and maintenance services and port services.
- At the time of certification of port visits, joint training, joint exercises, and humanitarian assistance and disaster relief efforts, mutual logistic support would be used completely.
- In return one party gives cash payment or the reciprocal provision of Logistic Support, Supplies, and Services as under the provision of LSSS.
- But in the case of other cooperative efforts Logistics support it will only return on a case-by-case basis through prior mutual consent of both countries
- LEMOA doesn’t make compulsory for Party to carry out any mutual activity and also doesn’t form any bases or basing arrangements
- It will be beneficial for the improvement of the operational capacity of the Indian Armed Forces.
- LEMOA is one of the three foundational agreements of Us Government that guide great technology cooperation in defence sector with other countries.
- Published on: August 31, 2016