India’s First Defence Industrial Park at Ottappalam Has Been Permitted by Dipp [ Current Affairs ]
India’s first Defence Industrial Park at Ottappalam has been permitted by Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) of Union Government by giving its final approval to Kerala Government. Kerala Industrial Infrastructure Development Corporation (Kinfra), a Kerala government owned Public Sector Company has requested for this development.
- Under the Union Government’s flagship Make in India programme and state government’s Make in Kerala project this defence park will be established.
Features of Defence Industrial Park
- Modern common infrastructure facilities with attracting component manufacturers in the defence industry.
- Union government also permitted to carry the park under the Modified Industrial Infrastructure Upgradation Scheme (MIIUS).
- At the estimated cost of Rs. 231 crore this park will established in 60 acres.
- Central will invest Rs. 50 crore and rest of the amount would by State government to implement this project.
- Due to connectivity and other common facilities like steadfast power and water supply beside with infrastructure for the research and development center the Ottappalam is selected for this project.
- This defence park will be very help full to reducing the gap in defence components manufacturing sector.
- Annually 700 million dollars are required by this sector from India.
- It will also provide platform for export of products related to defence from small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMSEs).
- Published on: February 2, 2016