India to Take Part in Indian Ocean-Wide Tsunami Mock Drill [ Current Affairs ]
India is participating in a major Indian Ocean-wide tsunami mock drill on 7-8 September and in this drill many different states peoples will be vacated, and this will be attended by approximately 23 Indian Ocean nations.
What are Tsunamis?
- These are gaint waves caused by earthquake or volcanoes or volcanic eruption under sea.
- Tsunami is a long, high sea wave caused by an earthquake or other disturbance.
Tsunami Mock Drill
- During The Tsunami mock drill thousands of people (35000) will be evacuated from coastal areas of Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal, Kerala, Gujarat and Goa.
- The mock drill would facilitate to emergency services and evaluating their state of readiness to handle tsunami-like emergency situations.
- The mock drill is necessary to check the management system.
The Indian Tsunami Early Warning Centre (ITEWC)
- Established in Indian national Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS).
- (INCOIS) is capable to detecting of tsunami genic earthquakes in 10 minutes time of their occurrence.
- ITEWC will provide 15 tsunami bulletins for the stakeholders through Email, Fax, SMS and Web.
- Published on: September 6, 2016