Indian Boxer, Shiva Thapa Wins Silver Medal at Asian/Oceania Qualifying Occasion in China [ Current Affairs ]
About Shiva Thapa: Shiva Thapa was born on 8th December 1993 at Guwahati of Assam, India. He is an Indian boxer by profession. He is supported by Anglian Medal Hunt Company which is a company supports young Indian players for their global competitive success.
- Shiva Thapa participated in the London Olympics in 2012 and he became the youngest Indian boxer who qualifies for that Olympics.
- He achieved 3rd rank in the bantamweight category in the AIBA Men’s World Ranking.
- He is the 3rd Indian who got gold at Asian Games.
About his achievements:
- He received Gold medal at the Asian Games and becomes the third Indian boxer to win gold.
- He also won the silver medal in the 54 - kg category at the Youth Olympics.
- He was named ‘Assamese of the Year’ in 2013 and also received the ICC Sports Excellence Award.
- He had also won a bronze medal at the 2015 World championships.
- The Government of Assam rewarded him with 100000.
- The Indian Olympic Association bestowed him with 400000 and government of Sikkim awarded him 500, 000 rupees.
About his winning at Asian/Oceania tournament in China:
- Shiva Thapa has won the silver medal at the Asian/Oceania Qualifying Tournament held in Qian’an, China in the 56-Kilogram category.
- In the final match, he was defeated by Thailand’s Chatchai Butdee by 0 - 3 score who won the gold medal.
- He had defeated Kazakhstan’s Kairat Yeraliyev in the semifinals and so he qualifies his ticket to 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics Games.
- Published on: April 4, 2016