Indian Railways and ISRO Signed MoU for Remote Sensing, GIS Technologies [ Current Affairs ]
For Effective use of Space Technology in Remote Sensing and Geographic Information System (GIS) Union Ministry of Railways and Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has signed a MoU which is based on Governance Application for Indian Railways.
Indian Railways will use geospatial and space technology in various sectors of governance it was announced by Union Railway Minister in his Budget and this MoU has signed after it.
- In the field of Remote Sensing and GIS for Remote Sensing at unmanned railway crossing using ISRO’s advance space technology, the MoU seeks to developing applications.
- For providing reliable, efficient and optimal solutions to Railways in it various areas of operation it also aims to develop geospatial solutions and customized software solutions.
- To solve all the day to day problems of Indian Railways ISRO will also provide its best technology.
- It will in turn benefit with acceptation of the new technologies.
Space technology is used by the Indian Railways currently for offering:
- Passenger Information System (PIS) in Mumbai Sub-urban trains.
- Emergency Communication using Satellite phones from disaster sites.
- GPS for various applications like Remote Monitoring of Locomotives.
- Synchronized clocks and Wi-Fi facility in selected Rajdhani Express trains.
- Connectivity to Passenger Reservation System (PRS) counters and Unreserved Ticketing System at remote and non-rail head locations.
- Published on: March 22, 2016