Iran Deals with Russia to Sell Heavy Water [ Current Affairs ]
The Atomic Energy Organisation of Iran (AEOI) deals with the Russian officials to sell parts of its heavy water to its northern neighbour. The announcement of selling heavy water to Iran was made by Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hossein Jaber Ansari.
About Iran’s deal with Russia:
- As per this deal, Iran will sell 70 metric tons of water out of its present 200 metric tons of heavy water reserves in the international market.
- This has been accepted in the nuclear agreement between Iran and the world powers.
- Iran’s existence in the international markets concerns to heavy water transactions is part of the country’s plan for peaceful use of atomic technology between both countries.
- Iran had already made technical negotiations with the United States.
- Abbas Araqchi, senior Iranian nuclear negotiator has agreed that the AEOI and a US company have signed an agreement to sell 32 metric tons of heavy water manufactured in its Arak Reactor to the America.
- This agreement, signed for next three months of negotiations was of worth $8.6 million.
- Iran and P5 + 1 group has signed an agreement for nuclear and this transaction of the heavy water was a part of this agreement.
- Iran has also decided to transport its supply of developed uranium to Russia.
- Atomic Energy Organisation of Iran is the official organization of Iran, which is responsible for implementing rules and operative nuclear energy fixings in Iran.
- It was founded in 1974 and currently headed by Ali Akbar Saheli.
- Its headquarter is in Amir Abad district of Tahran, Iran.
- Published on: April 26, 2016