Israel Prize Awards Has Been Honored to Renowned Indologist David Shulman [ Current Affairs ]
The prestigious Israel Prize has been honored to renowned Indologist Professor David Shulman for his breakthrough studies in fields like philosophy and religion. For his studies on the religion, literature and culture of southern India and has command over Indian languages like Sanskrit, Tamil, Telegu and Malayalam he has been chosen for this award.
About David Shulman:
- He was born on 13th January 1949 in Waterloo, lowa.
- He is currently serving as professor for Hebrew language at University of Jerusalem.
- He has made an important contribution in research management and teaching in Israeli universities as a professor.
- He is the founder of the India studies field in Israel and most of India researchers in Israel are his students.
- He has introduced the field of India studies to Israeli academia and the general public through his books and translations.
- He is a member of the American Academy of Sciences, Israel Academy of Sciences.
- For excellence in academic and professional achievements he was honored with Emet Prize by the Israeli Prime Minister’s Office.
- He was the 1st Israeli to win prestigious MacArthur Fellowship in 1987.
About Israel Prize
- The Israel Prize award is an Israel’s highest honour presented annually on Independence Day.
- The prize was founded in 1953 by the former Minister if education Ben-Zion Dinor who has also won this prize in 1958 and 1973.
- This prize is honored to persons who have displayed excellence in their fields or have contributed strongly to Israeli culture or the State.
- Published on: February 19, 2016