J Jayalalithaa Take Oath as Tamil Nadu Chief Minister for Sixth Time [ Current Affairs ]
Ms. J Jayalalithaa has taken oath as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu for record sixth successive time after winning 2016 state assembly election with absolute majority. State Governor Dr. K. Rosaiah administered the oath of office and concealment to her at oath taking ceremony held at the Centenary Auditorium, Madras University.
- Along with this Governor also has administered oath of office and secrecy to the 28 ministers of her government.
- This is J Jayalalithaa’s second successive term as chief minister and sixth overall.
- After Janaki Ramachandran she is the second female Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.
About J Jayalalithaa
- J Jayalalithaa was born on 24 February 1948 in Mandya in then Mysore State (now in Karnataka).
- Earlier she was an actress and appeared in 140 films which include Tamil, Telugu, and Kannada films.
- In films from 1961 to 1980 she was a leading actress and was excellently considered as one of the most fruitful and most versatile actress.
- She was also known for her dancing skills and raised as the uncrowned queen of Tamil cinema.
- She is a general secretary of All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK).
- From 1984 to 1989 she was elected as member of the Rajya Sabha to represent Tamil Nadu.
- Jayalalithaa became the first unavoidable chief minister in India to be banned from holding office due to conviction in an unbalanced assets case on 27 September 2014 but on 11th May 2011 the Karnataka High Court declare her innocent.
- Previously, she served as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu:
- 1991 to 1996 for the 1st time
- 2001 for 2nd time
- 2002 to 2006 for 3rd time
- 2011 to 2014 for the 4th time
- 2015 to 2016 for the 5th time
- Published on: May 23, 2016