January 12 observed as National Youth Day [ Current Affairs ]
January 12 is being observed as National Youth Day in India to mark a birth anniversary of social reformer, philosopher and thinker Swami Vivekananda. To celebrate the birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda numbers of functions are being organized in India. This is the 153rd birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda.
- In 1984, Government of India has declared 12 January as national youth day and since then it is being celebrated annually.
Importance of day:
- To spread the philosophy and the ideals of Swami Vivekananda for which he lived and worked this day is celebrated.
- The ideas and philosophy of the swami Vivekananda is a great source of inspiration for the Indian Youth.
About Swami Vivekananda
- Swami Vivekananda was born on 12 January 1863 as Narendranath Dutta and take last breath on 4 July 1902.
- He was chief follower of Saint Ramakrishna Paramhamsa in 19th century.
- He was the founder of the Ramakrishna Math and the Ramakrishna Mission.
- He was one of the most noticeable people of India to present Indian philosophies of Vedanta and Yoga to the “Western” World.
- In 1893 at World’s Religions Parliament held at Chicago his inspirational speech has become most famous.
- Published on: January 13, 2016