Kalpana Chawla Chair Set Up on Geospatial Technology by Indian Railways and PEC [ Current Affairs ]
To set up Kalpana Chawla Chair on Geospatial Technology for Indian Railways at the University Union Ministry of Railways and PEC University of Technology have inked a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
- In this regard the MoU was signed as the backdrop of Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu’s Budget announcement.
- In memory of Indo–American Astronaut and Alumnus of PEC Late Kalpana Chawla the academic chair is being instituted.
- The main aim of the chair is to inspire research activities of Indian Railways in Geo-spatial Technology.
- It will also help to support projects of Railway in which remote sensing data, Geographical information System (GIS) and global positioning system (GPS) is use majority.
- This will hugely help Indian Railways to develop in house solutions to the problems which are connected to western countries.
- V. K. Gupta will head this chair as Chairman, Member Engineering, Railway Board and Manoj Arora, Director; PEC University of Technology, Chandigarh will be serve as Co-Chairman.
- The Chair will operated by a Chair Core Committee (CCC) and shall have members from Railways and PEC.
About Kalpana Chawla:
- Kalpana Chawla was born on 17th March 1962.
- She was an Indo-American astronaut and the first Indian woman origin in space.
- In 1997 she first flew on Space Shuttle Columbia as a mission specialist and primary robotic arm operator.
- Chawla was one of the seven crew members killed in the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster in 2003.
- Published on: May 31, 2016