Kerala Becomes First Digital State of India [ Current Affairs ]
Kerala has been declared as the country’s first digital state by President Pranab Mukherjee after launching a digital empowerment campaign of state at Kozhikode. The main aim behind this campaign is to connecting the digital gap by 2020.
Kerala become digital due to the rapid digital strides of the state like:
- 100 percent mobile connectivity,
- 75 percent e-literacy,
- maximum digital banking,
- broadband connectivity up to the Panchayat level,
- linking bank accounts with Aadhar cards and
- E-district plan in all districts.
- Kerala becomes digital state by combine efforts of the government and various social organizations in the state.
- All villages in the state are connected with broadband under the National Optical Fibre Network (NOFN) project to provide high-speed internet in all gram panchayats and remote areas of the state.
- Regarding this state government has started two projects in 2002 like:
- Akshaya and IT@School – also has helped it to attain high e literacy.
- And 2, 500 Akshaya service centres working in rural and urban areas have helped create awareness in e-governance under this project.
- Kerala also has about 600 e-governance applications which cover almost all departments of state that play innovative role in delivering e-services to citizens.
- Kerala has a mobile tel-density of 95 % and Internet access covering over 60 % of the population as a digital state.
- Published on: February 29, 2016