Kiran Bedi Appointed as Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry [ Current Affairs ]
BJP leader and former IPS officer Kiran Bedi as the Lieutenant Governor (LG) of Puducherry as per Article 239 of the Constitution by President Pranab Mukherjee. The post LG was empty for the past two years after the Union Government had discharged Virendra Kataria from the post in July 2014 from that time the post was under the additional charge of Ajay Kumar Singh, Lt. Governor of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
About Kiran Bedi:
- She was born on 9th June 1949 at Amritsar, Punjab.
- In 1972 Kiran Bedi was the first woman to join the Indian Police Service (IPS).
- She has served for 35 years before taking voluntary retirement in 2007.
- She was posted as Director General (DG), Bureau of Police Research and Development at the time of retirement.
- She had started her career as an Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) in Chanakyapuri area of Delhi.
- During her service she also had served in Delhi, Goa, Chandigarh and Mizoram.
- She ad launched a campaign against drug abuse when she was serving as DCP of North Delhi. Then it had changed into the Navjyoti Delhi Police Foundation (renamed to Navjyoti India Foundation in 2007).
- She became the first Indian woman to be appointed as a Police Advisor to UN Secretary-General in the Department of Peace Keeping Operations in 2003.
- She was one of the innovators of anti-corruption campaign in 2011 along with Anna Hazare and Arvind Kejriwal against then UPA government.
- She had joined BJP but do not get victory in the 2015 Delhi Assembly election as the party’s Chief Ministerial candidate in 2015.
- Awards and Honours:
- President’s Police medal in 1979
- Ramon Magsaysay Award in 1994
- UN Medal for outstanding service in 2004
- Published on: May 23, 2016