Kunwar Bai: Swachh Bharat Abhiyan Mascot [ Current Affairs ]
105-year-old Kunwar Bai of Dhamtari district, Chhattisgarh is selected as the ’Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’ mascot by the Union Government. So in this regard Prime Minister Narendra Modi has honored the old but strong lady on 17th September 2016 in a function held in New Delhi to mark ‘Swachhta Diwas’.
- Swachhta Diwas was celebrated on 17th September 2016 to mark 67th birthday of Prime Minister of India Shri Narendra Bhai Modi
- She was recognized because she has constricted two toilets at her home by selling her 8-10 goats. And along with this she also started showing other villagers those toilets and educated them about its importance.
- She has encouraged others villages to build toilets.
- Her village becomes ‘open defecation free’ and now almost all the homes have toilets in her village because of her outstanding efforts.
Swatch Bharat Mission
- Swachh Bharat Abhiyan was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 2 October 2014 at Rajghat, New Delhi, on the occasion of the 145th birthday of The Father of Our Nation Mahatma Gandhi.
- Until now it is the biggest ever cleanliness drive of India.
- Around 3 million government schools, colleges and employees of India participated in this event.
- The Objective of this campaign is to “Clean India” by 2nd October, 2019, 150th birthday of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Narendra Modi has introduced many programs under this campaign to support this Abhiyan.
- Published on: September 20, 2016