Lok Sabha Passes Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Bill, 2016 [ Current Affairs ]
Lok Sabha has passed Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Bill, 2016. The bill seeks to set up six new Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs). The Bill amend the Institutes of Technology Act, 1961 to add six new IITs as institutions of national significance.
Key Features of Bill:
- Addition of six new IITs includes:
- It brings the Indian School of Mines (ISM), Dhanbad (Jharkhand) within the range of the parent Act.
- All these institutions will be declared as institutions of national significance.
- Till the statues in relation to IIT (ISM), Dhanbad are made under the parent Act, the statues applicable to IIT Roorkee will apply to it.
- The government is focusing on providing quality education to all.
- To improve the infrastructure and research facilities in the institutes.
- Government has formed High Education Financial Agency.
- Government has started online programme IIT-PAL and in order to statement the issue of high fee of IIT coaching class entrance exam.
- Under this programme the students can take free seminars, exams, homework.
- The government has been working to provide Wi-Fi connectivity to all universities in the country.
- Institutes of Technology Act, 1961 states certain Institutes of Technology as institutions of national significance.
- Published on: July 26, 2016