M H P Rao Architect of Madras Atomic Power Station is No More [ Current Affairs ]
Myneni Hari Prasad Rao a former Project Director of Madras Atomic Power Station (MAPS) has passed away at the age of 88 years due to old age ailments. He was measured the Father or Architect of the MAPS and had served its first project director.
About Myneni Hari Prasad Rao:
- He was born on 21 July 1927 in Edlalanka village near Avanigadda.
- Rao had served as the Executive Director of the Nuclear Power Board of DAE, Mumbai.
- He also had worked as a member of Western, Southern and Northern Indian Regional electricity boards for many years.
- Awards and Honours:
- Padma Shri (1984)
- Sanjay Gandhi Award for contribution in Science and Technology (1983)
About Madras Atomic Power Station:
- Madras Atomic Power Station (MAPS) located at Kalpakkam about 80 kilometers in south of Chennai.
- It is a comprehensive nuclear power production, fuel reprocessing, and waste treatment facility that includes plutonium fuel fabrication for fast breeder reactors (FBRs).
- It is first fully indigenously constructed nuclear power station of India.
- It has two units of 220 MWe capacities each:
- The first went critical in 1983
- The second went critical 1985.
- The station has apparatuses housed in an apparatus building with double shell repression ensuring total protection even in the remotest possibility of loss-of-coolant accident.
- Published on: April 6, 2016