Mahashangar: the SAARC Cultural Capital for 2016-17 [ Current Affairs ]
The 3rd century BC archaeological site in Bogra, Bangladesh Mahasthangarh, has been confirmed as the South Asian Association of Regional Cooperation (SAARC) cultural capital for the year 2016 - 17. From October 2016 to September 2017 SARRC cultural capital, the historic place will host festivals on literature, films, foods and dances.
- In addition the year 2016 - 17 has been also confirmed the SAARC Year of Cultural Heritage.
- Mahasthangarh is one of the most primary urban archaeological sites which is located at Bangladesh.
- It dates back 3rd century BC.
- It is situated at 11 km north of Bogra in Bangladesh.
- It was the earliest capital of Pundravardhana i. e. home of the Pundra, a group of people not speaking languages of the Indo-European family.
- An archeologically and culturally rich city I n the one of the 8 SAARC countries is confirmed as the cultural capital for that year every year.
- It was a consequence of Delhi Resolution which was assumed at the discussion while formulating a road map on cultural ties till 2017.
- This development aims to strengthening cultural connections among the people of SAARC nations.
- A historic city of Afghanistan Bamiyan is the current SAARC cultural capital for 2015 - 16.
- The South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) is regional diplomatic organization and geopolitical union in South Asia.
- Its member states are:
- The Maldives
- Sri Lanka
- SAARC includes 3 % of the world’s area, 21 % of the world’s population and 9.12 % of the global economy, as of 2015.
- Published on: June 28, 2016