Majuli: First Island District of India [ Current Affairs - Economics ]
The first island district of India Majuli is inaugurated by Sarbananda Sonowal Chief Minister of Assam at the occasion of 90th birth anniversary of Assamese music maestro and Dadasaheb Phakle awardee Bhupen Hazarika.
With this Manjuli becomes 35th district of Assam.
Previously announcement of Manjuli as district Manjuli as district was made in June 2016
- Recently in September 2016, Majuli declared as world’s largest river island Majuli declared as world’s largest river island and secured place in the Guinness Book of World Records by replacing Marajo of Brazil.
- Along with this inaugurating, Bogies Bridge construction is also announced by Sarbananda Sonowal at its terminal stage and Dhola-Sadiya Bridge will be completed in 2017.
- For the first time Cabinet meeting was held at Majuli (outside Guwahati) by Chief Minister.
- State government also planning for setting up cultural university in Majuli for research and advanced studies of art and culture of the state.
- Along with this State Government also decided to set up centre of water resources in the island to recurring flood and destruction there.
About Dhola-Sadiya Bridge
- The Dhola–Sadiya Bridge will be the longest bridge (55 kilometres longer than the Bandra Worli Sea Link) in India on the Brahmaputra River which will connect the states of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.
- Its length is 9.15 kilometres.
- Its construction was begun in 2011 under the aegis of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways in public private partnership (PPP) with Navayuga Engineering Company Ltd.
- The project will completed at the estimated cost of 10.00 billion rupees.
- Published on: September 12, 2016