Martian Crater Name Came from Nepal Quake-Hit Village Langtang [ Current Affairs ]
The crater on Mars is named as Langtang by the International Astronomical Union (IAU) after one of the villages most affected by the demoralizing 2015 earthquakes in Nepal. The Langtang crater on Mars is 9.8 kilometers extensive and has scientific significance.
- The marks on the top of the crater wall probably show the flow of water and below it are edges which are the remains of former Martian glaciers.
- Tjalling de Haas researcher has named the crater to pay tribute to the Nepali village and he has selected this name because of his colleague had worked in this village during studying Himalayan glaciers.
- Langtang village was a popular walking site which was completely smashed by an avalanche triggered in April 2016 shattering earthquake.
About International Astronomical Union (IAU)
- IAU is a collection of specialized astronomers, at the PhD level and beyond, active in qualified education and research in astronomy.
- It was founded in 1919.
- Its headquarters is located at Paris, France
- The main aim of IAU is to promote and safeguard the science of astronomy in all its parts through international cooperation.
- It is a globally recognized authority for handling designations (names) to celestial bodies like stars, planets, asteroids, etc. and any surface features on them.
- Published on: June 22, 2016