Mehbooba Mufti Sworn in as Jammu and Kashmir’s Chief Minister [ Current Affairs ]
Mehbooba Mufti Sayeed was born 22nd May 1959 in Akhran Nowpora. She has completed her education in Law from theUniversity of Kashmir. She is the president of theJammu and Kashmir Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
- Currently, she is a Member of Parliament and represents Anantnagin the 16th Lok Sabha.
- Anantnag is one of the six Lok Sabha constituencies of Jammu & Kashmir.
- She being apart from Indian National Congress to form Jammu & Kashmir Peoples Democratic Party in 1999.
- She has been elected to Lok Sabha from Anantnag seat in 2004 and 2014.
About her appointment as CM of Jammu & Kashmir:
- Mehbooba Mufti has taken oath as CM of Jammu & Kashim and become 12th Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) by succeeding her father Mufti Mohammad Sayeed who died in Janusry 2016.
- By this appointment, Mehbooba Mufti becomes first woman Chief Minister of Jammu & Kashmir.
- She also founded the same association withBhartiya Janata Party after her father’s death.
- So, she will head an alliance of her Peoples Democratic Party with the Bharatiya Janata Party.
- Along with Mehbooba, 16 Cabinet Ministers and 8 Ministers of States will also take oath of office and secrecy.
- As per the agreement between PDP and BJP, assortments like Home, Finance, Revenue, Law and Justice and Education will remain with the PDP while BJP will keep Health, Urban Development, Power, Commerce and Industries and Public Health Engineering.
- Published on: April 4, 2016