Most Advanced Guided Missile Destroyer “Mormugao” Launched [ Current Affairs ]
The most Advanced Guided Missile Stealth Destroyer ‘Mormugao’ of Indian Navy was launched in Mumbai, Maharashtra by Navy chief Admiral Sunil Lanba’s wife Reena at a function at Mazagaon Docks.
- It is named after the Mormugao port of Goa, the home State of Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar.
- Government-run Mazgaon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd and belongs to Visakhapatnam class of ships has jointly constricted this under Project 15B.
- Mormugao has capacity of 7,300 tons displacement with maximum speed of over 30 knots.
- It also has facility to fit the Barak-8 long-range missiles.
- It has vessel which is fitted with multi-mission radar for surveillance with medium range air and surface surveillance radar and other advanced electronic warfare and decoys.
- It also has surface-to-surface missiles, surface-to-air missiles and anti-submarine rocket launchers.
- It can carry two anti-submarine warfare helicopters.
About Project 15B
- Union Government had certified four 15B ships at the cost of 29,700 crore rupees in 2011 to develop a stealth guided missile destroyers for the Indian Navy with modern warships equipment’s and latest weapons package in continuation of lineage of the highly successful Delhi and Kolkata Class ships.
- The first ship of the project, guided-missile destroyer ’Visakhapatnam’ was launched on April 20, 2015 and four more stealth destroyers would be constructed in 2020-2024 by MDL.
- Published on: September 20, 2016