Mrinalini Sarabhai a Well-known Classical Dancer has passed away [ Current Affairs ]
A fabulous classical dancer Mrinalini Sarabhai has passed away in Ahmedabad, Gujarat at the age of 97 years. She was suffering health related issue due to the age from some time. She was trained in Bharatanatyam, Kathakali and Mohiniyattom dances.
- She had completed her education at Shantiniketan under the guidance of Rabindranath Tagore.
About Mrinalini Sarabhai
- Mrinalini Sarabhai was born on 11 May 1918 in Kerala.
- She was daughter of former Member of Parliament and social worker Ammu Swaminathan
- She was the founder of the Darpana Academy of Performing Arts in Ahmedabad which provides training in dance, drama, music and puppetry.
- She had got training in the south Indian classical dance Bharatanatyam under Meenakshi Sundaram Pillai and classical dance-drama of Kathakali under the legendary Guru Thakazhi Kunchu Kurup.
- She was the first classical dancer who becomes choreography.
- She has trained around 18, 000 students in Bharatanatyam and Kathakali.
- She was a writer, poet and environmentalist and had played a leading role in the social and art scene in Ahmedabad.
- She married the scientist Dr. Vikram Sarabhai who is considered as the Father of the Indian Space Program.
- Mallika Sarabhai a leading dancer, actor and activist is her daughter.
Awards and Honours:
- Padma Bhushan Award (1992)
- Padma Shri (1965)
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship (1994)
- Published on: January 22, 2016