Nana Vasconcelos a Well-Known Brazil Musician Passed Away [ Current Affairs ]
Highly praised Brazil musician Nana Vasconcelos has passed away due to lung cancer in the northeastern Brazilian city of Recife at the age of 71 years. He has won Grammy Award-winning Brazilian percussionist for 8 times. He is famously known for his wide instrumental range and major role in free spirited jazz and world music of the 1970s and 1980s.
About Nana Vasconcelos
- He was born on 2nd August 1944 in Recife, Brazil.
- Vasconcelos was master of a single-string, multi-toned Afro-Brazilian instrument the berimbau (in Portuguese).
- He is best known for partnerships with Brazilians Milton Nascimento and Egberto Gismonti, Argentine Gato Barbieri and Americans Don Cherry and Pat Metheny.
- He was awarded with the Best Percussionist awarded of the Year by the Down Beat Critics Poll for seven consecutive years from 1984 to 1990.
Some of his famous Discography as leader:
- Africadeus, 1973
- Amazonas, 1973
- Kundalini, 1978
- Saudades (ECM, 1979)
- Zumbi, 1983
- Nanatronics, 1985
- Bush Dance, 1986
- Rain Dance in 1989
- Fragments: Modern Tradition, 1997
- Contaminacao, 1999
- Saravah compilation, 1999
- Fragmentos, 2001
- Chegada, 2005
- Trilhas, 2006
- Sinfonia & Batuques, 2011
- Published on: March 10, 2016