National Technology Day is Being Observed on 11th May Every Year [ Current Affairs ]
National Technology Day is annually observed across India on May 11 to elevate the significance of science in day-to-day life and inspire students to accept science as a career option. Several events are systematized in numerous engineering colleges and technical organizations to mark the occasion.
Significance of the day
- The day is being memorialized to celebrate the anniversary of first of the five tests of Operation Shakti (Pokhran-II) nuclear test which was held on 11th May 1998 in Pokhran, Rajasthan.
- On this day first indigenous aircraft Hansa-3 was test flown at Bangalore apart from Pokhran nuclear test.
- India also showed successful test firing of the Trishul missile on the same day.
- 11th May was chosen to be commemorated as National Technology Day by considering all these technical achievements.
- Technology Development Board (TDB) has instituted a National Award to memorialize this day.
- This award is weigh up to numerous persons and productions by the President for their fruitful attainment in commercialization of Indigenous Technology.
- Published on: May 11, 2016