New Additional Solicitor General is Senior Advocate Atma Ram Nadkarni [ Current Affairs ]
Atma Ram Nadkarni a senior advocate of Bombay High Court is appointed as Additional Solicitor General by Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC). Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) has completed order of his occupancy of three years.
- Prior to this appointment he had served as Advocate General (highest law officer of the state) of Goa.
About Additional Solicitor General
- The main work of Additional Solicitor General is to advice the Union government on various legal matters and acts as law officer.
- He is third ranking lawyer of the Union Government.
- Additional Solicitor General’s mainly assisting the Union Government’s top legal adviser Attorney General (highest law officer of the country) and Advocate General.
- It should be eminent that office and responsibilities of Attorney General is shaped by the Constitution under the Article 76.
- Law Officers (Conditions of Service) Rules, 1987 and not by the Constitution governed duties of Solicitor General and Additional Solicitor Generals’ office.
Duties Additional Solicitor General
- Give advice to Union Government upon such legal matters and to perform other responsibilities of a legal character from time to time that are declared or assigned to him Appear whenever compulsory in the Supreme Court or in any High Court on behalf of the Union Government in cases in it is worried as a party or is otherwise interested.
- Represent the Union Government in any location made by the President to the Supreme Court under Article 143 (Advisory Jurisdiction) of the Constitution Discharge other functions that are discussed on a Law Officer by the Constitution or any other Law for the time being in power.
- Published on: May 11, 2016