New Chairperson of Ifad is Dinesh Sharma [ Current Affairs ]
Dinesh Sharma has been universally elected as the Chairperson of the Governing Council of International Fund for Agriculture Development (IFAD) for period of two years in its 39th Session which was held in Rome, Italy. He was working as Additional Secretary of Department of Economic Affairs under the Union Ministry of Finance and is also India’s Governor to the IFAD, Rome before he was appointed as chairmen.
About International Fund for Agriculture Development (IFAD):
- IFAD was formed in 1977 as the 13th Specialized Agency of the United Nations.
- Founder member of India is IFAD and a key contributor among the member countries.
- The main aim of IFAD is to work near removing poverty and hunger in rural areas all over the world and in developing countries.
Goal of IFAD “Empower poor rural men and women in developing countries to achieve higher incomes and improved food security”.
- Membership of IFAD is open to all member states of the UN.
- As if February 2015, IFAD has 176 member states.
- The two main governing bodies i. e. The Governing Council and the Executive Board are jointly managed IFAD.
- But the Governing Council is the top decision making body of IFAD.
- Published on: February 29, 2016