New Manipur Governor: Najma Heptulla [ Current Affairs ]
Former Union Minister Dr Najma Heptulla appointed as 18th Governor of Manipur by President Pranab Mukherjee after she resigned as a Union Minority Affairs Minister in the Union Cabinet of NDA Government in July 2016.She has succeeded Shanmuganathan because he was serving as Governor of Manipur and Meghalaya.
- Banwarilal Purohit a three-time former member of Lok Sabha from Nagpur and Managing Editor of Central India’s daily ‘The Hitavada’ as Governor of Assam.
- VP Singh Badnore as Governor of Punjab.
- Jagdish Mukhi a Delhi-based BJP leader and former MLA from Delhi as Deputy Governor of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Constitutional provisions of Governor
- According to this Article there shall be Governor for each state.
- But 7th Constitutional Amendment Act, 1956 allowed appointment of single person as a governor for two or more states.
- President can appoint the Governor.
- Governor holds office during the pleasure of President.
- Governor shall hold office for 5 years term from date he/she enters upon his office.
About Najma Heptulla
- Dr. Najma Akbarali Heptulla an Indian politician was born on 13th April 1940.
- She had served as a former vice-president of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), and a five time member of the Rajya Sabha, the Upper House of the Indian parliament from 1986 to 2012.
- She is also a Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha for sixteen years.
- Published on: August 22, 2016