New President of Central African Republic Faustin Archange Touadera [ Current Affairs ]
As the new President of Central African Republic (CAR) Faustin Archange Touadera took the oath in office. And he becomes first elected leader of CAR since Muslim rebels had overthrown the government in early 2013. With this appointment a two-year transitional government that came into force in early 2014 is ended.
Touadera is a former mathematics Professor.
- From January 2008 to January 2013 he had served as former Prime Minister of ex-president Francois Bozize.
- Touadera was an independent candidate had emerged victorious by securing nearly 63 percent of the total votes in the February 2016 Runoff elections.
- He had beaten Georges Anicet Dologuele of Union for Central African Renewal Party.
Central African Republic:
- It is one of the world’s most chronically unstable countries and former French Colony.
- In early 2013, it had ached the worst crisis in its history when mainly Muslim Seleka fighters in a coup had toppled President Francois Bozize.
- From that time it was in the throes of civil war and wavering by religious tensions, plagued by chaos on the brink of pre-genocidal scenario.
- Published on: March 31, 2016