New President of Kosovo is Hashim Thaci [ Current Affairs ]
In the third round of Parliament of Kosovo Hashim Thaci has been elected as the President of the country. He will replace Atifete Jahjaga. From total 120 parliaments Members 81 members has participated in the third round and Hashim Thaci has secured 71 votes out of 81.
Hashim Thaci is a fourth President of Kosovo after country become independence from Serbia in 2008.
He has served as Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister of the Government led by Isa Mustafa from December 2014.
About Hashim Thaci:
- He was born on 24th April, 1968 in the Drenica, Kosovo.
- He has completed his graduation with Philosophy and History from University of Pristina and post-graduation from University of Zurich.
- He was also involved in passive resistance to the Belgrade authorities when he was student.
- He had also climbed as the political leader of the Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA) during the Kosovo War.
- From January 2008 to December 2014 he was the first Prime Minister of Kosovo.
- Kosovo is a disputed territory and partially recognized state from February 2008 after separation from Serbia.
- The US and many EU countries have also recognized Kosovo.
- Kosovo is under UN administration after the NATO intervention had ousted Serbian forces from 1999
- Published on: March 2, 2016