Nita Ambani Becomes First Indian Woman Member of IOC [ Current Affairs - Sports ]
The chairperson of Reliance Foundation, Nita Ambanihas been elected as an individual member of the International Olympiad committee (IOC). She becomes the first Indian women to join the world body, which governs Olympic sports in the world.
- She was elected by IOC members at the 129th Session of the world body on a day before the opening ceremony of the 31st Olympics Games in Rio.
- For the recruitment of IOC member the independent selection process follows new process. It’s based on the Olympic Agenda 2020 recommendations.
- The person elected by existing IOC members and these election were done wholly on merit.
- Nita Ambani is only currently active in individual member of the IOC from India.
- She is 52 years old and she will serve at the high-profile world body until the age of 70.
- This is the appreciation for Indian women and also appreciation for the growing position of India in the world stage.
She has been directing initiatives in the area of
- Art and culture
- She is involved in promoting multiple sports event in India.
- She will also focus on developing talent through a number of large-scale grassroots initiatives.
- Nita Ambani is the architect of Indian Super League and this is helped in raising the profile of Indian football.
- She believes that a sport brings the communities, cultures, and generations together and these are the power to bring together and unity of people.
About International Olympic Committee (IOC)
- IOC is an international, non-profit, non-governmental organisation created by Pierre de Coubertin.
- The first president of this committee was Demetrios Vikelas.
- 105 active members and 32 honorary members in the IOC.
- Previous Indian Olympic Association General Secretary, Randhir Singh is served as IOC member from India in the period of 2001-2014.
- He is currently an honorary member of the world body.
- IOC organises the Youth Olympic Games and modern Olympiad games it held in summer and winter every four year.
- Published on: August 5, 2016