Now NPS Joined by NRIs Online Through eNPS [ Current Affairs ]
Now non-resident Indians (NRIs) are able to open National Pension Savings (NPS) accounts online i. e. through eNPS if they have Aadhaar Card or Permanent Account Number (PAN) card as announced by the Union Finance Ministry.
- NPS accounts could be opened by NRIs only through paper based applications by approaching Bank offices.
- The PFRDA (Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority) is the regulation body of the NPS, this regulator established by the Finance Ministry.
- NRI’s will be able to open NPS accounts both on reparable and on non-reparable basis through eNPS.
- And the NPS funds would be deposited only in their NRO accounts
- NRIs will have to concern the amount through his/her NRE/NRO/FCNR account on a reparable basis.
- NRIs can join NPS through their NRE/FCNR/NRO accounts at the time of maturity or during partial withdrawal on a non-reparable basis.
- This move will import advantage for those NRIs who aim to return to India after their employment abroad, in view of their attractive returns, low cost and flexibility.
- With around 29 million people living in over 200 countries and out of them 25 % live in the Gulf countries India is the second-largest displacement in the world.
- Published on: June 20, 2016