PM Narendra Modi Uncovers Asia’S Largest Optical Telescope ARIES at Nainital [ Current Affairs ]
Narendra Modi and Belgian counterpart Charles Michel from Belgium has inaugurated Asia’s largest and first of its kind optical telescope Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES) was exposed at Devasthal in Nainital District, Uttarakhand.
- Aries telescope will act as collaborative technological effort between Indian and Belgian scientists.
- It was located at a height of 2, 500 meters at Devasthal in Nainital district.
- The site is selected as they have clear view of the sky.
- The ARIES optical telescope has mirror of 3.6 m diameter.
- The telescope facility has been combined with high end technology which enables it to be operated with the help of remote control from anywhere in the world.
- This will help in the study and examination of planets, starts, magnetic field and astronomical debris.
- This will be also helpful in research of star structures and magnetic field structures of stars.
- Indian, Russian and Belgian scientists are jointly effort for the ARIES telescope.
- ARIES and Belgian company Advanced Mechanical and Optical Systems (AMOS) had entered a contract for design, manufacture, integration, testing, supply and installation of the telescope in March 2007.
- The project whose total cost is estimated to be more than 120 crore rupees and 7 % of it is funded by Belgium.
- Published on: March 31, 2016