PV Sindhu: Brand Ambassador of CRPF [ Current Affairs - Sports ]
Director general K. Durga Prasad has announced Ace Indian shuttler Pusarla Venkata Sindhu as brand ambassador of CRPF after she was convinced to represents India’s largest paramilitary force as its ambassador.
- With this she gains honorary Commandant Rank (as equal to Superintendent of Police (SP)) in CRPF and will commands a battalion of around 1,000 personnel.
- Recently PV Sindhu had earned Silver medal for India in Rio Olympic 2016 and becomes India’s first women to earn silver medal in badminton.
About Central Reserve Police Force (CRFP):
- CRPF is the largest statutory Central Armed Police Forces in India. It functions and operates under the support of Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
- It was formed on 27th July 1939, under Crown Representative’s Police but after independence it becomes statutory Central Reserve Police Force after the enactment of the CRPF Act, 1949.
- CRPF is the world’s largest revolutionary force with 228 battalions and over three lakh personnel at the current time.
- Its main role is to assist States/Union Territories (UTs) in police operations to preserve law and order and contain insurgency.
- Head of the CRPF is a Director General who is an Indian Police Service officer and is separated into ten directorial sectors, each headed by an Inspector General.
About PV Sindhu
- She was born on 5th July 1995.
- She completed her training from Hyderabad’s Gopichand Badminton Academy and also supported by Olympic Gold Quest, not - for - profit foundation which the identifiers and supporters of Indian athletes.
- Sindhu has become the first Indian women who win the medal in world Championships 2013.
- She became more famous after she was ranked in top 20 list of Badminton World Federation rankings in 2012 She was awarded by Padma Shri the India’s fourth highest civilian honor on 30 March 2015.
- Her father Ramanna represented India in Volleyball and also awarded by Arjuna Awardee.
- Her individual titles are:
- Indonesia International (2011)
- Malaysia Masters (2013)
- In Macau Open for successively two times in 2013 and 2014.
- Published on: September 2, 2016