Pinarayi Vijayan Takes Oath as Chief Minister of Kerala [ Current Affairs ]
Pinarayi Vijayan veteran CPI (M) leader has taken oath as 12th Chief Minister of Kerala after the left Democratic Front (LDF) had won 2016 state assembly election. His oath of office and secrecy has been administered by the State Governor P Sathasivam along with other 18 ministers of his government in Thiruvananthapuram.
- The CPI (M) -led coalition of LDF had arisen victorious with 91 seats in the 140 member Assembly in the 2016 state assembly election.
- With 47 seats the ruling United Democratic Front (UDF) had emerged as largest opposition coalition.
About Pinarayi Vijayan
- He was born on 24 May 1945 in Malabar district in then Madras Presidency of British India.
- Through student union activities he had entered into politics and in 1964 he had joined the Communist Party.
- In 2002 he was elected and since he is a member of the CPI (M) and is also a member of its Politburo.
- From 1998 to 2015 he had served as Secretary of the Kerala State Committee of the CPI (M).
- He is one of the longest serving secretaries in the history of party.
- Previously in 1970, 1977 and 1991 he was elected as MLA from Koothuparamba and in 1996 from Payyannur.
- In 2016 he won from Dharmadom constituency.
- From 1996 to 1998 he had served as Minister of Electric Power and Co-operatives in then left government of Kerala.
- Published on: May 26, 2016