President Nominates 6 Well-Known Members to Rajya Sabha [ Current Affairs ]
President Pranab Mukherjee has selected six renowned members to Rajya Sabha as per the provisions of Article 80 of the Constitution. the selected members are Mary Kom, Narendra Jadhav, Navjot Singh Sidhu, Suresh Gopi, Subramanian Swamy and Swapan Dasgupta
About the nominated six members:
- Mary Kom:
- She is the famous boxer and Olympic bronze medalist.
- She comes from the Tibetan Kom tribe of Manipur.
- She became World Amateur Boxing champion for five-time.
- She is only woman boxer to have won a medal in all six world championships.
- She also became the first Indian woman boxer who got a gold medal in the Asian Games in Incheon, South Korea in 2014.
- Narendra Jadhav:
- He is well-known economist and former member of the National Advisory Council (2010 - 14) and Planning Commission (2009 - 14).
- He was also served as vice-chancellor of Pune University.
- Navjot Singh Sidhu:
- He is cricketer and also politician who was two time member of Lok Sabha.
- Suresh Gopi:
- He is Malayalam actor who had acted in more than 200 films.
- He won the National Film Award and Filmfare Award.
- Subramanian Swamy:
- He is leader of Bharatiya Janata Party.
- He as elected to the Lok Sabha in 1977, 1980 and 1988 and to the Rajya Sabha in 1974 and 1998.
- Swapan Dasgupta:
- Swapan Dasgupta is a journalist.
- He had worked at position of senior journalistic positions in various publications including The Indian Express, India Today and The Times of India.
About the nomination:
- Nomination of well-known members to Rajya Sabha was done as per Article 80 (Part V) of the Constitution.
- President can nominate 12 members in the Council of States (Rajya Sabha).
- The selection of persons can be done on the basis of special knowledge or practical experience in the field of Art, Science, Literature and Social Service.
- This type of nomination is done to enable the representation of eminent professionals and experts who cannot face direct elections.
- Published on: April 25, 2016