Rafael Nadal Has Won 2016 Barcelona Open Title of Tennis [ Current Affairs ]
World-class tennis player Rafael Nadal from Spain has won the 2016 Barcelona Open title of Tennis. The Barcelona Open Title of year 2016 is Nadal’s overall 9th Barcelona Open title and 69th win from 101 finals on the Association of Tennis Professionals World Tour.
- He also has won his first 10 matches of the European clay-court 2016 season.
In the final match played at in Barcelona, Spain he defeated Kei Nishikori (World No 6) of Japan in straight sets, 6 - 4, 7 - 5.
By winning this title, Nadal has equaled Guillermo Vilas’s old record of 49 clay-court titles.
About Rafael Nadal:
- Rafael Nadal is a tennis player by profession of Spain.
- He was born on 3rd June 1986 and ranked as no. 5 in tennis.
- Widely, he is known as ‘Clay-court’ player and after his success he is titled as ‘The King of Clay’.
- About his achievements:
- Rafael Nadal has won 14 Grand Slam singles titles.
- He also achieved 2008 Olympic gold medal in singles.
- He got 28 titles inATP World Tour Masters 1000 events and 17 World Tour 500 tournaments.
- He was named theLaureus World Sportsman of the Year in 2011.
- Nadal and Mats Wilanderare only two male players in history who have won at least two Grand Slam titles on three different surfaces - hard court, grass and clay.
- He became first male player to win a single Grand Slam tournament by winning in 2014 French Open.
- Published on: April 25, 2016