Railway Ministry Launches Agartala to Delhi Broad Gauge Train Service [ Current Affairs - Policies & Governance ]
The Union Railway Ministry has flagged off the broad gauge train service dubbed as ‘Tripura Sundari Express’ from Agartala (Tripura) to Delhi. Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu flagged off it. With this, the landlocked north eastern state of Tripura entered the broad gauge railway map of the country.
- The ‘Tripura Sundari Express’ between Anand Vihar (Delhi) and Agartala (Tripura) flagged off on Sunday.
- It will have commercial stoppages at 16 stations and cover a distance of 2461 kms in 46 hours and 50 minutes.
- The train will leave Agartala for Anand Vihar (Delhi) every Thursday and will leave Anand Vihar for the return journey every Monday.
- The Railway Minister also laid the foundation stone of the Agartala- Akhaura International Rail link Project (India–Bangladesh Board Gauge Rail link Project) along with Bangladesh Railway Minister Mazibul Hoque.
- India and Bangladesh Board Gauge Rail link Project was mooted in 2012 and then in February 2013 both countries signed a MoU.
- Both countries decided to create 15.06km railway line of which 10 km falls in Bangladesh. India will bear entire expenditure of Rs.968 crore under this MoU.
- MoU project will be part of the trans-Asian rail connectivity and play an important role in connecting Sabroom, southern most border city of Tripura with Chittagong international sea port that is just 75 km.
- Published on: August 2, 2016