Ratan P Watal: New Principal Advisor for Social Sector in NITI Aayog [ Current Affairs ]
New Principle Adviser for social sector in NITI Aayog is Former Finance Secretary Ratan P Watal for three years. He was appointed after his two-month extended tenure as Finance Secretary ended in April 2016.
- He was to retire in February 2016, but got a two-month extension.
- Mr. Watal is a retired IAS officer of Andhra Pradesh cadre of a 1978-batch.
- Between August 2015 and April 2016 he also had worked as Finance Secretary.
About NITI Aayog
- National Institution for Transforming India (NITI Aayog) is premier policy think tank of Union Government which is established by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to substituted former six decade old Planning Commission.
- The main aim of it to substitute involvement and participation in the economic policy-making process of the state governments and has accepted a bottom-up approach in planning.
- Arvind Panagariya a well-known Economist is Vice Chairman of the NITI Aayog.
- Economist Bibek Debroy and former DRDO chief V K Saraswat are appointed as full-time members.
- On 1st January 2015 the Union Government of India declared formation of NITI Aayog and the first meeting of NITI Aayog was held on 8th February 2015.
- NITI Aayog is a group of people with specialist entrusted by the government to formulate/regulate rules in social and economic issues with professionals in it.
- Published on: May 23, 2016